Italian food in a homey setting...
I came to know about Mama Lou's when I kept on bumping into its Panzarotti at every food bazaar all over town. Larger than an empanada, and almost calzone-like in size, every flavor I've tried was soft, cheesy and good, more so when dipped into the blue cheese, or topped with arugula and alfalfa sprouts. It was then that I learned about their little restaurant in BF.
If you're not familiar with the South, it might be a challenge to find this cozy Italian kitchen in a sequestered part of BF. It's not in BF Homes, Parañaque anymore, but actually in BF International, Las Piñas. Yes, people of the North, that far. Its location might be remote, but if you're fond of authentic Italian meals with a homey ambiance to boot, it might be worth a try to venture out into the area. Good news though, they will be opening another branch in Nuvali, Sta. Rosa.
Anyway, on with the food...
Like in other Italian restaurants, we started our dinner with some complimentary bread, this time with 2 dips -- Pomodoro (tomato) and Pesto (basil, parsley, olive oil).
My mom ordered the Mushroom Soup, and I really had intended to get half of it. Only problem was, the next moment I looked toward where she sat, the mushroom soup had long been gone from the bowl, down to the last drop.
A copious amount of chopped tomatoes, garlic, mozzarella, basil and olive oil balanced on top Mama Lou's homemade bread. I would have preferred it to be a bit toasted, albeit this caprese-like antipasto was still capable of whetting the appetite.
The City Sampler is a platter good enough for sharing between 3 to 4 people. It comprises of chicken wings, fried calamari, Italian garlic sausage, and nacho chips. Smack in the middle sat three sauces -- tartar, pomodoro and cheese.
The Lasagna had interlayers of meat sauce beefed up with parmesan and mozzarella; classic and simple.
I didn't get to try this one either. It was my brother's girlfriend's order so I was too shy to pounce on it. She did say it was a bit on the oily side, though.
I actually wanted to try other pizza flavors, but my daughters only wanted pepperoni. Since I already had my eye on the Osso Buco, I acceded and gave them what they wanted. Good thing it came with arugula and alfalfa sprouts. I love topping those on my pizza, and had made the plain old pepperoni more special.
Both my mom and my husband ordered the rib eye steak. My mom's though was totally charred, and we had to return it to the kitchen in order for it to be replaced. My husband's had way nicer grill marks. According to him, the steak was tender and flavorful.
I was hankering for something tomatoey yet meaty so I opted for the Osso Buco. Drenched in tomato sauce, this large piece of beef shank sure satisfied my every craving. I almost forgot about the mashed potatoes as I eagerly fed myself forkfuls in a row.
I wasn't expecting much from the desserts, but they were actually quite a revelation. This Italian Tiramisu was so good! It was light and delicate, and every fork's journey to my mouth was highlighted with espresso and baileys.
Another toothsome cake was this cheesecake topped with blueberries. The cheesecake itself had just the right amount of richness; it wasn't too cloying nor was the cream cheese watered down. It was a great way to end the meal.
Mama Lou's Italian Kitchen
Spot: B1 L36 Tropical Ave. cor. Tropical Palace BF International, Las Piñas
Contact Nos.: 519-1977 or 0917-834-6262
To celebrate FRM's 2nd Anniversary, Mama Lou's Italian Kitchen has magnanimously sponsored a giveaway for FRM's readers and followers!
- ONE (1) winner of a Php 1,500 Gift Certificate from Mama Lou's Italian Kitchen valid until December 31, 2013
- ONE (1) winner of a Php 1,000 Gift Certificate from Mama Lou's Italian Kitchen valid until December 31, 2013
- Anyone who lives in the Philippines is eligible to join; however, the prizes are only redeemable at Mama Lou's Las Piñas branch.
- Contest runs from August 8, 2013 until September 7, 2013.
- You must have a valid and active Facebook and Twitter accounts to join.
- Please follow the instructions on the Rafflecopter below.
- There are 7 very simple mandatory tasks you have to complete in order to qualify for the draw, but there are also optional tasks that you can do in order to increase your chances of winning.
- Please follow instructions (put the correct message, tag the sponsors in the message, submit direct links, tag your friends,etc) for your entry to count.
- Make sure that your Facebook shared posts are set to "Public" (the posting option is beside the time/date of your post, just set it to the globe icon), and your Twitter account is not protected/locked, otherwise I might not be able to view them, and your entry will not be counted.
- The winners will be announced on this website on September 11, 2013.
- Winners will also be notified via email and must be willing to pick up the GC at Mama Lou's branch in BF International, Las Piñas. Please present a valid ID when claiming your GC.
- The gift certificates are valid until December 31, 2013.
And the winner of a Php 1,500 Gift Certificate from Mama Lou's is...
Again, thank you very much to Mama Lou's for being a part of FRM's anniversary celebration! :)